Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Post Blitz #1 - A Party in Juliette's Honor

Readers of my writing blog and personal acquaintances may already know that I am not, shall we say, a religious person. I am a person of faith, but mostly that is defined as faith in my friends, family and humanity in general (no jokes or quips about how often those groups test my faith). So it may seem odd that my wife and I decided to have our child baptized, but, we did.

Only...

We had a DIY baptism.

I just want to say that it was mostly an excuse to get Juliette into the baptismal gown that Kathy and her three sisters were baptized in, gather some friends and family together and have s'mores out on the patio.

The general idea of a baptism, as I understand it, is to affirm that there is somebody watching over the person being baptized. This is meant to be God, and is symbolized in the selection of Godparents. So, with friends and family gathered, it seemed perfectly natural to be celebrating and affirming the fact that there are many people who are watching over our little girl.

Plus, the s'mores were fantastic.

Jules with Granny and Poppy, pre-baptism. Story about the bib to follow.

Jules was none too happy to be in the baptismal gown. She likes to be able to move her legs around a little

Sad face.

One of her favorite places to be is on the changing table.

Happy to be out of the gown.

You can see she was a much happier camper after that.

Mom and Jules

Or at least, not as unhappy.

It's hard to take pictures when you're eating s'mores, so we didn't get too many. Though I got this great shot of my mother cuddling two of her grand daughters in the slightly chilly wind that was blowing that day.

That's not a melon Maddy is kissing, that's Juliette's head.

So thanks to Granny, Poppy, Maureen, Maddy, and Jess for coming over and helping us celebrate. And a big thanks especially to Jess, who acted as a stand-in Godmother for Juliette, because cousin Kari couldn't make it down.

1 comment:

  1. <3 I'm happy to stand-in for anything that doesn't involve noodles or ice-skating. Plus, I totally love her.

    ReplyDelete